Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Jessica Hancock

Growing up on the west coast of British Columbia I often found myself in the spots between the forests and the ocean. With these areas teeming with diversity, it seemed only natural to become inquisitorial of plant life. Of particular interest to me was the complexity of forest systems. I became completely fascinated with the seemingly impenetrable strength of trees and not only their role within forest ecosystems but within both natural and anthropogenic global systems as well.

During my undergraduate degree I was extremely lucky to have ample opportunities to ask questions. However, I always found myself coming back to the same one; how can innovation be used to promote sustainable forest system management and conversation? While I examined this question from many different disciplinary standpoints, I found my passion in the realm of botany, specifically examining the diversity of secondary metabolites and their functions. 

Under the supervision of Dr. Marina Tourlakis and Dr. Emma Davy, I constructed my final thesis project which aimed to examine potential biomass substitutions to woody plants for use in pulp and paper products. Inspired by the work of Dr. Patrick Martone and Dr. John Ralph this research focused on the examination of lignin composition in the macro green algae species Cladophora glomerata.

Upon completion of my Bachelor's degree I found myself wanting to further examine concepts of cell biology so that I could continue asking and examining questions about the diversity of secondary metabolites. By beginning my MSc under the supervision of Dr. Lacey Samuels in January 2021 I intend to do just that. As a member of the Samuels lab, I will be investigating the production and secretion of metabolites in Cannabis sativa. Specifically, this research will examine how unique glandular trichome disc cell structure supports high levels of cannabinoid and terpenoid biosynthesis.